You are cordially invited to participate in the 12th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition, due to be held from 13 to 17 July 2020, in Palais des Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland.
The Competition is presented by the Centre for Human Rights based at the Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, in partnership with the Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, Washington College of Law, American University and the United Nations Human Rights Council Branch (HRCB) at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
Each year students who wish to participate in the Competition submit written legal arguments for the two opposing sides in a fictional dispute involving some of the burning contemporary human rights issues. The ten teams from each of the five UN regions with the highest scores for the written arguments are then invited to participate in the final, oral rounds in Geneva, where they argue the case before eminent international jurists, including judges from international tribunals.
You may also check:
- 2020 SDG Global Festival of Ideas for Sustainable Development – Bonn, Germany
- Africa Biosciences Challenge Fund (ABCF) 2020 for Researchers
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships Scheme 2020/2021 for students (Fully Funded)
The Competition is presented in English, French, and Spanish. The teams that are selected to participate in the preliminary rounds in Geneva are expected to cover their own traveling costs as well as cost of accommodation and meals. Limited financial assistance is, however, available to help cover accommodation and meals.
- Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria
- Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, American University, Washington College of Law
- United Nations Human Rights Council Branch (HRCB) at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
With the financial support of
- European Union through the Global Campus of Human Rights
- Mission Permanente de la Suisse auprès des Nations Unies à Genève
- South African Permanent Mission Geneva
- The Regional Office for Southern Africa (ROSA) of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights